And the bush has friends to meet him, and their kindly voices greet him, In the murmur of the breezes and the river on its bars,
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended, And at night the wonderous glory of the everlasting stars.

Banjo Paterson (1889)

Monday, July 12, 2010

Angry Northern Quolls

As part of a fauna survey in northern Australia, Northern Quoll (Dasyurus hallucatus) capture and monitoring is important. These native carnivorous marsupials are endangered, especially from introduced predators and the poisonous Cane Toads spreading across the north. All Australian Zoologists have a great respect when catching these wonderful, but aggressive quolls.



That's one angry male Northern Quoll, and those long teeth will go through a glove like a hot knife through butter. Interesting to have such a big male, as all males die after mating.




Typical habitat of Northern Quolls, rocks with lots of hiding holes and big spinifex clumps. Lots of food too, small mammals, lizards and birds.




Another beautiful but annoyed quoll, running around in it's cage.




This time it's a smaller female, but still with a nasty set of teeth that will bite to the bone, if she gets a hold of you!




Quolls often have this crazy look and will go still and pretend to be dead, so you losen your grip, suddenly they twist and are gone! Doesn't she have a lovely "I just want to kill you" look?

6 comments:

Stuart Price said...

Wow, never seen pics of this animal before.

The males die after mating? Didn't know that.

fnkykntr said...

Hi, yes - why do they die? Over-exertion?! that is such an evil look... scary thing. Would love to see one though.

Its Time to Live said...

I backtracked from my blog to find you. I lived in Australia for a couple of years, loved the country, loved the people. Wish I could come up with the money to come back. I have a friend in a small town near Perth (name escapes me) One of my sons is names after a man I know in Alice Springs. I will be checking in often!

Wilma said...

I had never heard of these animals before. They do look pretty fiesty! It was hard for me to get a perspective on their size. Are they about the size of a grey squirrel?

Richard King said...

Hi All,

Yes, in most aussie carnivorous mammals the males die after mating, due to exhaustion and excess testosterone damaging their immune system and organs. Us poor males, we usually die early. :(

Wilma, it's just over 2 feet long in total.

Wai Yien said...

I am sure it hurts after being bitten by this ferocious looking animal